Saturday, November 3, 2018

BJ AND THE BEAR S3 E13: Detective Finger, I Presume?


Originally aired on May 2, 1981
Directed by Gil Bettman
Written by Robert L. McCullough

Two people break into BJ's office and steal a painting valued at $400,000. (BJ was delivering it to a SF museum the next day.) There have been a series of burglaries in the area and they seem to tie-in to an all women's gym called The Globe Gym. Cindy and Stacks go undercover at the gym. They learn that the owner, Stella Lemke, with the help of a Capt. Dryer, frame the women and make them commit burglaries. But, don't worry Detective Finger is on the case!
 I haven't been the same since Mary left me
Det. Lt. Finger, The Last of the American Hoboes?

Finally, a cop who isn't crooked! Well, technically, Cain wasn't crooked but he sure wasn't a good time. Detective Finger initially appears to be the same as every other cop on the show. He doesn't believe BJ. He thinks the painting (if it even exists) and BJ are involved in some sort of insurance fraud. He's a douchenozzle. But, as the episode goes on, he believes BJ more and more. And, in the end, they're actually friends, which was a surprise but also very nice to see. As the series draws to a close, I like the thought that they've brought in a cop who can be BJ and the Gals ally, if need be.
That extra is having the best time ever

Speaking of cops, I think I see Officer Norberg undercover at The Globe Gym. It's Peter Lupus, everyone! He gets to be big and menacing. He has a pretty good fight with BJ that starts with him throwing a dumbbell at him. (No, I don't mean Officer Perkins.) I always like seeing him and I always forget he was in Muscle Beach Party.
There's a joke about "going undercover" here
Frankly, it's eluding me & I'm OK with that

This is the episode where it is officially stated that Grant is "the top cop in the state." I don't know what that says about California law enforcement but that doesn't sound good for anyone. How on Earth does he get that high up? He's not like Lobo who does crooked stuff in a small town. He's the "top cop" in one of the most populated and largest states in the US. Holy Moley! SCAT is a lot bigger than I thought.
SCAT Officer McKay!

Cindy and Stacks going undercover is a nice thread. Stacks is constantly worried. Cindy is a tough gal. I missed her. Let me say it again: They really haven't figured out what the heck they're doing with all these gals. The twins are here but do nothing but look great in short shorts. Angie and Samantha are nowhere in sight. (I think. I don't remember them being here.) Callie is here, as always. But this episode is an odd one for her. BJ spends most of his time kind of flirting with her and wanting to dance with her and...  Normally, she annoys him. What happened? My guess is that Linda McCullough, who plays Callie, is related to the person who wrote this episode. And the writer has very strong thoughts about his relative getting the best attention from the star of the show. I could be all wrong though.
BJ NEEDS to dance with Callie!

The episode isn't as good as the previous two. It lacks the excitement of S.T.U.N.T. It lacks the crazy, propulsive oddness of Who is BJ? It's pretty much what I imagine would be a standard episode of the show if it had kept going with this format. BJ comes up against the cops. A few of the gals participate. BJ does better detective work than the police. Grant gets involved somehow. In the end, everything is OK if not better than before. One interesting thing: I couldn't really see this episode working as a 1st or 2nd season show. There's too much involvement from the gals for that. Hope looms.
Look. The director lingered on this shot
I'm just a writer looking for good screenshots.
Talk to Gil!

Where the episode wins is in the undercover stuff and Detective Finger. Cindy and Stacks do some gymnastics, which is cool. Detective Finger goes undercover as a hobo at one point, which wins all the awards for awesome in my book. Plus, again, he actually listens to BJ in the end. Thank God! I'm not 100% sure why they make him and his partner Sgt. Williams so incompetent when they're trying to foil a liquor store robbery but hey this is "action comedy BJ and the Bear." There's your action and there's your comedy.

Grant Meets Finger!

It's not a great episode. But, if this is where the show was moving towards, it's not a bad one. They still haven't cracked the format they created for the show. But, it feels like they might be getting near it. Unfortunately, the next episode is the last one. I know. It makes me sad too. It's been a long journey. I'll see you there.
 I liked this ending
And I loved this ending

No comments:

Post a Comment